Ann Arbor – Deck Sealing and Staining
Restore Your Deck’s Natural Beauty While Protecting it from Ann Arbor Weather Conditions
360° Painting Ann Arbor offers deck sealing and staining services that not only make your deck look better, but also provide long lasting results.
Our professional deck sealing and staining process involves thorough power washing, cleaning and repair. Next, we apply one or more coats of finish that penetrate the wood for maximum protection, stand up to foot traffic, and offer the following preventative benefits:
- Screen out UV rays
The products we use help to protect the wood from fading, cracking, splitting and warping. They also provide longer lasting results so deck restoration isn’t needed for years under normal wear and tear.
Why Deck Sealing is Important to Ann Arbor Homeowners
It’s undeniable that sealing your deck will restore its attractiveness. And that deck sealing and staining is a valuable part of your exterior home maintenance.
Better to take good care of your existing deck, and enjoy using it, then to be faced with expensive repairs, wood rot, or a complete rebuild in the future.
But there are safety concerns that make deck sealing and proper maintenance a wise investment:
✔ Mold and Mildew
Though mold and mildew is an organic that cannot be entirely avoided, it grows and flourishes on your deck due to excess moisture and lack of regular cleaning.
Mold is slippery when wet, which is a hazard on its own. However, the presence of mold and mildew is a sign of neglect that is often accompanied by other problems such as splintering, graying and rotting wood.
Ann Arbor extreme weather cycles of dry, wet, warm and cold cause wood splinters that aren’t clearly seen until there is irreparable damage such as cracks, splitting or peeling of the wood.
✔ Moisture Swells
A lack of sealing and waterproofing also leads to moisture swells. Beyond water damage, these swells cause nails to protrude from the wood to become a camouflaged hazard for people using your deck.
Deck Maintenance for the Ann Arbor Winter Season
In the summertime, there’s nothing quite like a deck for spending time outdoors – grilling, entertaining friends and family, or just relaxing. You’ll want a good looking, safe and functional deck.
Here are a few tips for wintertime deck ownership:
Your deck won’t get as much use in the winter, but it still needs your attention.
- If your deck is built and maintained properly, it should sustain the weight of snow better than your roof does.With railings at 36” high, you don’t need to shovel until the snow reaches 3 feet deep or so. Use a plastic shovel with a plastic blade and shovel parallel to the boards so as not to cause damage.
- Keeping your deck maintained will ensure your shovel doesn’t get stuck on protruding nails and such.A broom works far better than a shovel in light snowfalls and won’t scrape, gouge or scratch your deck surface. A leaf blower can work as well for a couple inches of fluffy snow, but use caution.
- Do not push snow (or ice) off your roof onto your deck. Not only does the additional snow add weight, but the falling snow produces a force that is massive – often more than your deck can withstand.
- It’s a good idea to clear an exit path of about 3 feet wide, ideally close to a railing, and including the stairs, so that there is one more safety exit from your home if needed.You can also use this path for winter grilling, to refill your bird feeder or let the dogs out for a romp in the snow.
Additional Painting Services
Visit our house painting FAQs for information on working with us or specifics about interior and exterior painting.
- Interior painting
- Kitchen cabinet painting and refinishing
- Epoxy garage floor coating
- Exterior painting
- Color consultation
- Accompanying services
Schedule a Free Deck Sealing Evaluation
Whether you need a new deck stained and sealed for the first time, or are ready for maintenance deck sealing and staining services, contact 360° Painting Ann Arbor for a free deck sealing evaluation at (734) 404-7655.