Ask a Painting Contractor in Memphis: Which Paint Finish Should I Use?
Have you decided to liven up your dining room with a bold new color? Or maybe it’s the family room that’s feeling tired and needs an update. With the holidays quickly approaching, many homeowners choose paint to freshen up their homes. After all, nothing transforms a room faster than a fresh coat of paint. But as you begin looking at paint samples to pick a color, you’re beginning to wonder which paint finish to choose. The painting contractors from 360° Painting® Memphis work with paint finishes everyday, helping homeowners in Cordova, Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, TN as well as Lakeland, Arlington, and Olive Branch, MS, and know how to find the right finish for every project.
Understanding Paint Finishes
Picking the right paint finish goes hand in hand with picking the right color. The paint finish will determine the amount of sheen or shine seen by the naked eye, the durability of the paint, and how easily you can hide imperfections on the surface. So how do you decide which finish is best for the job at hand? The painting contractors at 360° Painting Memphis can help you choose the paint finish that’s best for your project.
First, let’s look at the finishes, and their characteristics:
- Flat or Matte: These finishes are the best for concealing imperfections, but aren’t as washable, so they should be reserved for surfaces that won’t need frequent cleaning. Ideal for ceilings, adult bedrooms, living rooms, dining rooms, and closets.
- Eggshell and Satin: These finishes are easy to maintain and work great in high traffic areas of your home, but don’t mask imperfections as well as flat finishes. Ideal for playrooms, children’s bedrooms, hallways, family rooms, and mudrooms.
- Soft-Gloss, Semi-Gloss, and Medium Gloss: More durable and washable than eggshell and satin finishes, but with visible shine or sheen. Ideal for trim, woodwork, and cabinetry. These finishes are also a popular choice in high moisture areas such as bathrooms, just be sure to select a mildew-resistant formula in those areas.
- Gloss or High-Gloss: These finishes have the most durability, but they also have a very high sheen. Ideal for furniture and architectural features that you want to highlight, such as trim and crown moldings.
Tips from a Painting Contractor at 360° Painting Memphis
When reviewing the differences between paint finishes, you may prefer the look of one finish over another, or want durability above all. But to make the best choice, our painting contractors at 360° Painting Memphis suggest that you may want to consider some practical reasons to choose one finish over another:
- The Condition of the Surface: Walls with uneven texture or other imperfections will benefit from a flat or matte finish that camouflages bumps and uneven textures.
- How the Room is Used: Rooms with high traffic and lots of activity, such as children’s playrooms and hallways, need a durable paint that can withstand frequent wipe downs and washings, such as satin or eggshell.
- How Much Natural Light is Available: Higher-gloss finishes allow more light to reflect around the room, while matte or flat finishes absorb light.
The painting contractors of 360° Painting Memphis have the knowledge and experience needed to pick the right finish for any painting project. Call today at (901)616-1161 to schedule a free in-person consultation. Our professional painting contractors serve the cities of Memphis, Cordova, Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, TN, and Lakeland, Arlington, and Olive Branch, MS and look forward to assisting you with your next project.